Sunday 1 April 2018

Beddington Farm - A Trickle of Migrants!


The weeks are moving on at pace with little to report at The Farm. I have been assured that spring is on its way, but thus far there have only been a trickle of migrants through to confirm this theory. A handful of Sand Martin and a couple of Wheatear, one male having taken up temporary residency on the mound. I managed to get some shots of the bird today having sneaked around in the developing copses that are scattered across the mound.

Earlier on I had staked out my favourite corner on top of the mound. The wind today was a tame NW breeze which has produced Marsh Harrier for me in the past. News of a few Osprey on the move had my eyes firmly pinned to the skies in anticipation!
The raptor that gave me an initial heart tremor and had me grabbing my camera turned out to be a male Sparrowhawk. The bird was high wheeling above my position and on my initial gaze looked large, full bodied and short tailed. Thankfully the camera earned its keep once again confirming the identity of the bird.



The temperatures are set to rise by the end of the week which I must say is welcome relief from the blast of cold weather. I have been used to warmer climes of late and have struggled with the inconsistent temperatures. I just hope the showers that are forecast work some magic although it is still early days in the migration calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment