Saturday 30 September 2017

Costa Rica - Macaws Enjoy the Fruits of Life!


As I enter into my last week at Cano Palma the Macaw surveys have been the best opportunity to add a few extra species onto the trip list. I have logged over one hundred species in the Tortuguero area which is not a bad total considering most areas are restricted. There are still some unidentified flycatchers to add to the total fortunately I have pictures allowing plenty of time to complete the task.
I have heard owls around the base and Great Tinamou at what was a tourist walkway up to the top of the Cerro. Tourist access is restricted but we have access to the four hundred and eleven steps on a Macaw survey day. San Francisco offers the best opportunity to view both species of Macaw either in flight or feeding in gardens.

At the Sea Turtle Centre a group of Roseate Spoonbill and a juvenile type Crested Caracara were seen in flight over the lagoons. The Green Macaws also gave spectacular close views as they fed on the beech almonds.
A laughing Falcon gave Chris, Jane and I prolonged views as it landed in a tree close to our watch-point in San Francisco a few days ago. Jane spotted the Falcon as it crossed the lagoon. This is the best view I have had of this species.

No comments:

Post a Comment