Wednesday 3 May 2017

Beddington Farm - A rare appearance from a Black Redstart!


Today was perfect Farm weather Low cloud overcast, NE wind with showers but would it facilitate a movement of birds?! The early signs were good with a couple of Common Tern arriving from the E joining the mass of airborne gulls that had been spooked by a streamer bird (gull that has picked up some kind of tape or bag which trails from a leg or wing in flight) which as a rule causes chaos amongst the rest of the gulls!
The star bird of the day did not make an appearance until the end of the day and well after I had left the Farm. I had just gone home from catching up on chores when Dodge rang informing me that Pete Alfrey had a Black Redstart in his back garden. Pete’s flat is situated within Beddington Farmlands recording area on the W side of the railway. My shopping was abandoned on the kitchen floor and the Kojemobile set on out a short but tricky journey just on the edge of rush hour!

The bird was feeding in an adjacent garden popping up on the fence line intermittently. Frank scored his 201st Farm tick and my total took another step towards the 200 mark. That bird was easy enough although I am surprised the site does not hold more of this species.
The Farm had produced again with Dunlin arriving earlier and migrating to 100Acre where they joined Greenshank and Little Ringed Plover. The Redshank preferred to battle it out on the North Lake with the gulls where a first year Caspian Gull was noted. The Glaucous Gull was observed perched on a post first thing in the works area. A Wheatear and Yellow Wagtail were also noted on the mound.

I have submitted the Temminck’s Stint and Goshawk (additional observer) rarity submissions to Surrey and await their judgement. I have seen four new species for my Farm list during my Spring-watch which tomorrow enters into its thirty forth day. The longest day so far has been thirteen hours!
I can feel another trip coming on!

No comments:

Post a Comment