Sunday 13 November 2016

Beddington Farm - Harrier Flyby as we all Remember!

It was business as usual at stupid o clock this morning. The rain had cleared up and a cloudy day with sunny spells was the forecast for the morning ahead. The wind which was more of a light breeze was an interesting N to NW when I arrived at the Farm!

I spent the first few hours counting birds firstly on the North then the South lake. There was a small movement of Wood Pigeon SW. Amongst the usual suspects were four Pheasant (3F 1M) near the hide, five Egyptian Geese and a Kingfisher which passed low between the lakes.

I decided to head to the valley where the Dartford Warbler had been seen during the week. This was to prove to be a major decision as the bird that was being mobbed by Corvids would not have been seen had I remained on Kojak’s corner (the mound opposite the main gates) or been in the hide!!

I was stood at the top of the mound which overlooks the lagoon and I noticed a pack of corvids going crazy in the sky to my left which could only mean there was a raptor in amongst them somewhere. A quick scan with the binos and yes it was a harrier with a white collar and band at the top of the tail. Crikey a Hen Harrier must get some pictures of this!! I reeled off a few shots and then began checking the pictures once the raptor had disappeared over Beddington Park!!

I had not been in that area for more than twenty minutes and I would have certainly missed the bird had I been anywhere else on the Farm! Whew that was a stroke of luck but maybe I had made my own luck on this occasion! Incidentally I did not see or hear the Dartford Warbler!


This species was not a new bird for my Beddington Farm list but only my second Farm record the last being a male on 21st April 2008. Back at Kojak's corner a Kestrel decided to offer its congratulations nearly crashing into me before it took up its hunting position above me. Woo hoo!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kojak
    I was just wondering what time you spotted the Hen Harrier yesterday since I saw a raptor head towards beddington Farm at approximately 2:00 yesterday evening, near Mitcham.
    I didn't think Hen Harrier (who would if a glimpse!)
    Regards
    Arjun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arjun The HH passed over at approx 1010hrs from the SE of BF (Asda side) and departed S over the park.
      Regards

      Delete