Wednesday 22 November 2017

Beddington Farm - Another MEGA at the Farm!


Who would have thought Beddington Farm would turn up yet another Surrey Vice County MEGA today. There were a few pairs of eyes on the site today and a Red Kite, a few Fieldfare and Redwing were the product of Frank and my watch from the corner.

Devilbirder had re located the German ringed Caspian Gull X319 on the North Lake and after a brief visit to the corner made his way with Magnus to the area around the tip. Pete and Swifty were additions to the corner but there was little movement above. Frank and Pinpoint departed leaving the Swift and I on point!
My phone started going crazy with calls and a text from Devilbirder (DB) saying “Answer!!” I answered and heard an excited but slightly annoyed DB said “I’ve got a Twite”. This was great news as this would be only the second record for Beddington Farm. I packed and stashed my gear and saw Pete and Frank scurrying back towards the main gate.
I made my way over to the landfill fortunately the bird was far easier to locate than contacting me by phone. As with the majority of Beddington finds cameras secured the evidence of another Beddington MEGA. Twite are in decline and subject to a ringing programme which is one of the factors which drew attention to this bird within a small flock of Linnet.

Ring details: pink over silver on left leg and pink over red on right leg. Any information as to the ringing programme gratefully received. - South Pennines Ringing Project
What a year this has been. I have had seven Beddington ticks bringing my total to 188 and another Surrey Vice County tick bringing my total to 233. It just shows that you cannot leave the farm alone as there is always a surprise around the next corner. Nice one DB... Woo Hoo!

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Another good bird at the farm. Keep an eye on the BFBG website. I am certain someone will take you over to see it if it is still there at the weekend..

      Delete
    2. Obviously that would be great if at all possible, any news on whether it's still there? I've guessed it left as I haven't seen any updates!

      Delete
    3. It was there today (I was not and won't be at the weekend) so try and get over. There are people there Sat morning. Peter is probably the best one to contact. I will text him now. Ok it with mum and dad but I guess they will bring you over anyway! Good Luck!

      Delete
    4. Cheers Kojak, parents okay with it for tomorrow morning if someone is willing to put up with me for a little while to try and see it.
      I can contact by email, but has Peter responded yet?
      Many thanks

      Delete
  2. Arjun its still there but not seen every day...Time for another visit I guess?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately the weekend was way too hectic but next week if it's seen again that would be great...

    ReplyDelete