Saturday 7 October 2017

Costa Rica - Arenal Volcano - Un Gran Tormenta a Traves de Costa Rica!

A huge tropical storm has hit the majority of Costa Rica killing numerous people and destroying everything in its path but Tortuguero seemed to have escaped the devastation. By pure coincidence my time with Cano Palma had ended and my next stop was to be close to the disaster area at Arenal Volcano.

Hotel Arenal Lodge was my destination and I arrived late afternoon after a boat and minibus journey. The area had been hit by the storm but the damage was restricted to power and telephone lines. The location was perfect for birding in their extensive grounds and to take some time out by the pool before my journey back to San Jose and home.
The morning was a slow affair with the birds seemingly still hiding from the winds that had preceded me. I covered both trails with two raptures being the highlight at the watchpoint. The second bird was a White Hawk which gave distant views and non publishable pictures.
A walk through the Hummingbird garden produced Rufous tailed and Violet Headed Hummingbird. It was a game of patience to get pictures but there were plenty of subjects to choose from.
A Bananaquit was also spied skulking around the flowering plants.
I returned to my room and spent post lunch time birding from my balcony. Yellow Faced Grassquit were busy feeding on the grass directly in front of my viewpoint.
These birds were scattered by the arrival of a small group of Grey Headed Chachalaca who showed their rufous  in the primaries as they crashed into the bush.

What would the evening session bring?!

No comments:

Post a Comment