Saturday 10 June 2017

Frensham - Scramble Scramble!! Falcon on the Ridge!!


There was no time to breathe this morning as my slumber was broken by my phone going crazeee next to me! A Red Footed Falcon had been found at Frensham by Sean Peters. Surrey Ed had obviously realized Koje was still in cuckoo land and was trying his upmost to raise the dead!!

Breakfast consisted of a swig of Piriton and the Kojemobile was off and running albeit on a minimal fuel. The journey down was straight forward enough with my trustee SATNAV. Lings ridge is about a ten minute walk from the Frensham Great Pond Carpark but you have to traverse the sand before you negotiate the hill.
Having arrived at the top I saw Dave Carlsson and Stevie Mc without his side kick on this occasion! I had just missed the bird which had been showing well but I was confident it would still be in the area.  I set down on the ridge and began scanning the area. There were a few scattered trees on the heathland. The bird had been favouring the larger dead trees.

It was just a game of patience from then onwards and this paid off as the bird flew over the ridge to the other side perching up on top of a small tree. I spoke to Sean who pointed out this was the first twitchable Surrey Vice County (SVC) bird! This brings my SVC list to a respectable 229 (considering I have lived abroad for parts). Woo Hoo!!

3 comments:

  1. A great Surrey bird!
    A shame that I can't twitch any of these birds yet.
    Has it been showing all day, on and off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its still there today.... Call in a favour with mum and dad!! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Ha, would love to!
    Unfortunately I have exams starting now so although I would love it see it I don't think my parents would be too pleased :(
    If it stays two more weeks...

    ReplyDelete