Wednesday 22 March 2017

Spain - Sierra de Andujar - Rolling Hills!

I have spent the last couple of days exploring Sierra de Andujar which is probably the best place to see the Iberian Lynx. I did not see one myself but there were a few people out looking. My focus was getting photos of the Iberian Green Woodpecker which has won the award of being the most difficult bird to photograph.

I have seen plenty of this species and attempted stake outs in a couple of spots I have regularly heard and/or seen them. But have failed to capture the moment on camera which is a pity as this is considered a separate species from Green Woodpecker and a new bird for me.

During my travels other species have been a bit more obliging Hoopoe being a bird I never tire of seeing. They are fairly regular in the area but tend to spook easily at an approaching car.

A couple of Woodchat Shrike were using a fence stake bordering a grazing field to hunt from. They were periodically joined by other passerines during my vigil.

There is a short trail at Embalse de Jandula where I saw Blue Rock Thrush, Rock Bunting, Siskin and House Sparrow but no Rock Sparrow. The latter I have not seen in the area despite checking all flocks of Sparrow.

There are plenty of deer roaming around the hills which seem to roll on forever. A very picturesque setting in which Griffon and Cinereous Vulture are regular and the odd Eagle that passes through the hills.


Tomorrow I have a long drive back to Madrid where I will catch a flight to Barcelona after a nights rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment