Sunday 29 May 2016

Laguna Blanca tick Green-barred Woodpecker!

Sunday 29th I was up and out at stupid o’clock this morning with the intention of adding some Atlantic Forest night birds to the survey list. As I wandered across the sand through the mist and mizzle I was beginning to wonder if this was a good decision.

I made it to the track and searched the area with my head-torch. Nothing and you could hear a mouse fart it was so quiet. I searched until daylight will little change to the above. A Collared-forest Falcon was the only sound of life in the forest. This species is very secretive remaining within the forest canopy and a lifer for me! One day I will crash into one when I least expect it!

The temperature was still 14c but I guess the birds were still sensibly tucked up in their roosting places! A drumming Lineated Woodpecker was the next bird of interest followed by a Rufous-capped Spinetail which was new for my year-list.

As the morning progressed the birds came to life which was a relief. I made tracks to the edge of the Atlantic Forest where it meets the cornfield. The E field has recently been harvested of soy and the pigeons and doves were having a feast. It was difficult to estimate numbers but there were at least c650 Picazuro Pigeon and c800 Eared Dove. The latter were resting in the trees at the edge of the forest and would exchange places with doves that were feeding on the ground at regular intervals. A Peccary joined the fray at one point sending some of the pigeons skyward! What an impressive sight to see! Before leaving I made a note to return with the telescope to sift through the pigeons as there may be a rarity amongst the masses!

A Grassland Sparrow made an appearance from the corner of the cornfield. Was this another evacuee from the flooded Cerrado or a bird cashing in on the feast that had presented itself!


Back in the heart of the forest the group of Maroon-bellied Parakeets were still present and the Pale-crested Woodpecker added itself to the year-list. The Green-barred Woodpecker made another appearance in the tourist area on the way back. This was a new bird for my reserve list first seen on 25th outside the house! This time I nailed some good pictures of this species! Woo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment