Friday 24 April 2015

Scotland Day 7 - Nearly a full set!

The drive to Oban is just short of 3hrs but a life bird a Black Guillemot waited for me in the harbour therefore it was worth the trip. Oban is situated in the Firth of Lorn and has a ferry terminal where you can take a trip to other islands off the Scottish coast.

The day began overcast and low cloud made driving interesting in parts. The only interesting bird on this journey was a pair of Hooded Crow who were extremely difficult to watch having placed themselves in the scrub along the single track pass and just as I negotiated pulling in another vehicle turned up. I thought I was the only nutter on the road at stupid o clock!

The journey took me through Fort William which sits and the point where two Locks meet. Most of the Lochs I have visited do not support much bird life as they are so deep.

Having arrived in Oban I headed for the beach car park but did not make it as the target bird was lined up along the harbour wall. I had heard this was an easy bird to see and very approachable photo wise. All the birds I saw were adults and I therefore could not add a plumage tick to the total.

The remainder of the day was spent searching pine forests for the Scottish Crossbill (and maybe a Parrott Crossbill) the last of the species on my wish list. I stopped at the Chia – aig Waterfalls which had a logging site at the back of it. I saw a pair of Dipper who flew the falls with such ease. I then moved further along Loch Arkaig in search of what I thought would be one of the easier birds to find.


The day ended with a walk through Grafton on Spey forest but there was not a Crossbill to be found. The search will continue tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment