Saturday 10 August 2013

Evening Counts!!

Friday 9th August 2013

I took a walk around Beddington Farm taking the opportunity to carry out my first evening count of species along , The Permissible Footpath , 100 Acre and finally The Lakes. The weather was good 22C Sunny with 50% high cloud and a 10-13mph WNW wind. 
(Footpath)
A Whitethroat was the first bird to attract my attention in the scrub just over the bridge. There seemed to be alot more activity along the path today. A Calling Willow Warbler was to be the most notable bird to be recorded along the path. A total of 16 species were noted +4 on my last count.
(100 Acre Jim's Bed)
100 Acre was next with the usual mad scribbling noting the species on Jim’s bed which is the biggest area of water in this area. Green Sandpipers were split between here and the Mitigation scrape. Numbers of this species are down on what I would expect at this time of year. A total of 22 species were noted +3 on my last count.
(Green Sandpiper)
I then scurried through to the North Lake to view some very usual suspects indeed. A Peregrine caused panic in the small starling flock as it sped across the lake in pursuit of a meal. A single Kestrel was not going to be allowed to hunt the margins in peace as a couple of crows mobbed it in flight. A pair of Egyptian Goose arrived on the North lake as light was beginning to fade. A total of 26 species were noted +2 on my last count.
(North Lake)
All three areas were in the + zone this evening which is always good. I still have not recorded any Tree Sparrows around the North lake having completed three counts. Not good!!

I have produced some charts on word but cannot download them into the right format to put onto this blog. Any suggestions gratefully received??

No comments:

Post a Comment