Sunday 21 July 2013

Ruddy Shelduck at Beddington Farm!

I took a short trip to Beddington Farm this morning in the hope that a Ruddy Shelduck had decided to stay for a few days. Not many records of this species are accepted as there are many birds kept in collections.
(Ruddy Shelduck)
I had not even seen an escaped bird in the UK outside of a collection. I decided it was time to at least have a record of a bird especially as one was at my patch a few miles down the road. I made my way to 100 Acre where the Ruddy Shelduck had been seen earlier in the day & there it was stood on a small island.  I noted six Green Sandpiper & two Common Sandpiper on Jims bed.
(Cuckoo)
Tank informed me of two Cuckoo that were still hanging around the Go Kart track & I caught up with the group just missing the birds. After a chat with Tank & Pete Alfrey I remained on 100 Acre & looked for the Cuckoo one which obliged by perching itself on the fence between Jim’s & the race track.

Pete has recently completed the 2012 site report & I must say it is a comprehensive report on all aspects of life on the Farm. I would recommend the purchase of a copy when it goes to print in the next few weeks. Full details of how to obtain a copy is shown on Pete’s website " Non Stop Birding " which is listed on this blog.

With the sites future as a sanctuary for wildlife in the balance as the result of the proposed incinerator this report will help to raise the profile of an area which has a formidable record for breeding & rare birds

No comments:

Post a Comment