Sunday 16 June 2013

Swift journey to Suffolk!

I was surprised to see news from Rbn this morning of the Pacific Swift still present at Trimley Marshes SWT Suffolk. I just presumed it would be a one day bird and would move on!

The rain did not look as though it was coming but it was cloudy so a good chance the Swift will stick around to complete its second day. So off I went a two and a bit hour drive in light traffic which is always nice.
I parked near Trimley Railway station and with backpack on I started to follow the odd birder towards the reserve. Little did I know at the time I was embarking on 2 – 3 mile yomp. Quiet a pleasant yomp as it turned out despite hoards of birders walking in the opposite direction to me. Was this a bad sign?!

I passed Beddington regulars Pyro and Gripper who informed me the bird was being seen every forty five minutes and patience was the order of the day. I can do that I thought and off I yomped! I had missed out on training this week having been a bit under the weather but this got the heart rate back into working order!

I spoke to Roy Weller on the sea wall and set up and began scanning the swifts that were at all levels in the distance. There was plenty of cloud with the odd spatter of rain which hopefully would push the insects and the birds lower in the sky. The Pacific Swift was picked up a couple of times in the distance but even though the observers were describing the location I was unable to get my scope on it!

Fortunately the bird obliged by coming closer visiting the pool in front of me but only for about half a minute. I locked the bins on the bird which stood out from the other swifts with its white rump and followed it until it turned and flew back to whence it came. Nice one another lifer in the bag! Thanks must go to the commentary team either side of me!
(Avocet & Spotted Redshank combo!)
Two Spotted Redshank were on the pool to the right of me along with a Black tailed Godwit and several Avocet. I set up my digi-scoping kit which does not get much use these days. I do need to work on this part of my game but got a record shot of one bird before kitting up for the march back to the car.

The drive home always seems quicker when you see your target bird!!

No comments:

Post a Comment